Shop Gift Cards
Jewelry Cleaning & Care Guide
One thing that’s been consistent for hundreds of years is the affinity many have for jewelry. Much more than a symbol of status and opulence, jewelry often has the most important memories of our own lives and loved ones attached to them. As such, taking proper care of these items is essential. This cleaning and care guide will help you prolong its longevity.
Proper care is necessary if you’ve just gotten your jewelry or your item is a precious heirloom you've had for several years. Here are some essential preventative measures to take to ensure it keeps its precious look.
- Remember to remove your jewelry before engaging in any physical activity or while at a location that requires a lot of movement. This is an easy way to lose it. You should also be sure to take it off before going swimming. Whether you go swimming in the ocean or a pool, it’s important to remember that either water or salt can be two damaging elements. It’s also important to be mindful of the weather if you’re outside. Humidity and rain are both factors that can adversely affect your jewelry.
- If you’re getting ready to go to a fancy event, such as a wedding, charity ball, or dinner, be sure not to put your jewelry on before getting ready. Proper care also means avoiding direct contact with perfume, hairspray, water, and other chemicals as you would with your other jewelry pieces.
- Whenever you’re not wearing your jewelry, proper storage is one of the most important steps you can take to preserve its unique look. Store your jewelry in a dust bag or the box it arrived in.
Proper Procedures to Follow When Wearing Jewelry
Rotate your jewelry pieces a couple of times while you’re wearing it. This will ensure that it doesn’t irritate the skin and it will also help preserve its elasticity.
If you’re traveling abroad, be sure you have your jewelry properly secured in a safe place where it's away from prying eyes.
If you plan on wearing jewelry that’s encrusted with certain gemstones, be sure to exercise caution. Factors like sudden temperature changes can have an adverse effect on them.
Caring for Your Jewelry & Hair Accessories
Taking proper care of your jewelry is essential to ensure it remains as beautiful as the day you received it. Please follow these guidelines to preserve the quality and longevity of your unique pieces:
For Handmade Fabric Flowers:
- Avoid Moisture: Keep your fabric flowers away from water, and if they are hand-dyed, protect them from direct sunlight and high humidity. These pieces are not washable, and we recommend spot hand cleaning only if absolutely necessary.
- Handle with Care: Since most elements are hand-sewn, treat them delicately, and refrain from placing heavy objects on top of the flowers to prevent wrinkles and misshaping.
For Feather Pieces:
- Gentle Restoration: If your feather pieces appear ruffled from their journey, you can gently stroke the feathers to realign the filaments. Feather items are delicate, so handle them with care.
For Wired Vines:
- Avoid Bending: Refrain from bending wired vines back and forth, and prevent direct contact with hair products. Store them in their signature box to prevent dust accumulation.
For Metal Headbands and Headpieces:
- Handle with Care: When storing metal headbands and headpieces, take care not to drop or shake them in the box. Avoid excessive bending, as it may lead to breakage. Store them in the signature box to keep them dust-free.
Keeping it Dust-Free:
- To prevent dust from accumulating, you can store your pieces in the box they were originally shipped in.
- If you notice any damages that are not related to shipping or customer mishandling, please reach out to us within 48 hours of receiving the item. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to address any concerns. If damage occurs after this timeframe, it will be the customer's responsibility.
Caring for Your Hair Accessories and Jewelry
We hope that your hair accessories and jewelry will bring you joy well beyond your special day. Whether you're celebrating everyday moments or donning your crown on grand occasions, we want to ensure your pieces stay as stunning as when you first received them. Here are some tips to keep your headdress in impeccable condition:
- Safe Storage: When not adorning your hair, it's best to keep your hair accessory safely tucked away in its box. Our boxes are designed to provide strong protection, guarding delicate accessories from potential damage and dust. Alternatively, if you'd like to display your headpiece, consider placing it under a glass dome. However, be cautious and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, as naturally dyed silks may fade, and certain glass beads can discolor when left in the sun.
- Metal Matters: Our pieces are crafted using various metals, including non-tarnish raw brass, non-tarnish silver-plated wire, raw brass, copper, and recycled sterling silver and gold. Tarnish is a natural process that occurs when metals are exposed to oxygen. Even non-tarnish metals may tarnish over time, depending on environmental factors like humidity. To prevent tarnish, it's essential to store your headdress in an airtight box when not in use. We include anti-tarnish patches with all our accessories, offering protection for a limited period, and these patches can be replaced. Natural metals like copper, raw brass, and sterling silver will develop a richer, deeper patina over time. If you prefer to maintain the original shine, store your headdress in its box, placing the box into an airtight container.
By following these guidelines, you can help preserve the beauty and quality of your hair accessories and jewelry, ensuring they remain cherished pieces for years to come. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Cleaning and Caring for Your Headdress & Hair Accessories
When it comes to cleaning your intricate headdress or hair accessories, it's important to handle them with great care. Most of our designs are delicate and intricate, making them challenging to clean as you would typical jewelry. To ensure your pieces last a lifetime and can be passed down through generations, it's essential to care for them in a manner similar to how you would treat precious jewelry or delicate veils.
Here are some key steps to keep your headdress and hair accessories in pristine condition:
- Proper Storage: Always store your headdress in its designated box or a display case. Our boxes are thoughtfully designed to protect delicate accessories from potential damage and dust. Minimize prolonged exposure to air to reduce the risk of tarnishing.
- Dust Removal: If your headdress becomes dusty, use a soft artist's paintbrush to gently remove any accumulated dust. This will help maintain the accessory's lustrous appearance.
- Avoid Chemicals: Steer clear of exposing your headdress to chemicals. Chemical agents can significantly damage the delicate stones, pearls, crystals, and glass beads used in our designs. Hairspray, in particular, can have a detrimental effect on precious stones, pearls, and the coatings of glass beads, accelerating tarnish on both natural and plated metals.
- Hairspray and Styling Products: To prevent damage and discoloration, ensure that your hair accessory is positioned after using hairspray and styling products, not before.
- Avoid Immersion: Although water should not damage your headpiece, it's advisable not to immerse it in water, especially if it incorporates fabrics like silk.
By adhering to these care recommendations, you can extend the life of your headdress and hair accessories, preserving their beauty for years to come. Your cherished pieces are made to last, and with proper care, they can become family heirlooms. If you have any further questions or require additional guidance, please do not hesitate to reach out.
How Do I Look After My Jewelry?
At Lavlii, we understand that jewelry can be exceptionally delicate and meticulously hand-wired. To ensure its longevity, it must be handled with utmost care and tenderness.
Here are some vital guidelines for preserving the beauty of your jewelry:
- Mindful of Gemstones: If your jewelry features semi-precious stones, freshwater pearls, glass pearls, or crystals, exercise great caution to shield them from exposure to any chemicals that might cause harm.
- Chemical-Free Cleaning: We strongly discourage the use of chemicals for cleaning your jewelry. Instead, store it in the provided box and then place the box in a sealed container. This approach minimizes exposure to air, the primary catalyst for tarnishing.
- Natural Tarnish Removal: To remove tarnish from sterling silver and brass, you can use natural lemon juice. However, it's crucial to thoroughly rinse the metal with mild soapy water afterward. Lemon juice is mildly acidic, so apply it gently using a cotton bud or a small piece of cloth. Be particularly cautious to avoid contact with any stones or beadwork.
- Restoring Shine: For sturdier pieces crafted from silver or brass, such as our Leaf headpieces, a soft nail buffer can work wonders in gently rubbing away tarnish and reviving their shine. Remember to handle this process gently.
By following these recommendations, you can help safeguard the intricate beauty of your jewelry. Every piece is created with meticulous care, and with your attentive maintenance, it will continue to shine for years to come. If you have any further questions or need additional advice, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Your jewelry's longevity is our shared goal.
Caution While Cleaning
Cleanliness is important for safeguarding the look of your jewelry. While some places might try to sell you tarnish treatments or expensive remedies, a polishing cloth is the best line of defense. A polishing cloth is the most effective polishing tool for removing tarnish. Other cleaners simply bleach the tarnish instead of removing it. The inner part of the polishing cloth is treated with non-toxic ingredients that keep your health safe and protect the environment.
Taking care of your jewelry will ensure that it maintains its integrity and longevity. And if you’re in the market for some unique pieces for that special moment approaching, book an appointment with Lavlii today.